Friday, November 18, 2011

Jump!

Philippe Halsman was one of the great portrait photographers of his time. He worked with LIFE magazine and Salvador Dali, but his best work, in my opinion, was his Jump series. Politicians and artists, rulers and business owners, they all jumped for Halsman. But being a film nerd, the actors and actresses are my favorite.


Grace


Dean and Jerry


Marilyn


Anthony


Brigitte


Donald


Eva


Harold


Audrey


Sophia

"When you ask a person to jump, his attention is mostly directed toward the act of jumping and the mask falls so that the real person appears."

-Philippe Halsman

Check out his book, which is full of famous people jumping:


4 comments:

Mr. Tiny said...

So cool! I have seen some of these images but I was not aware of the photographer or the series!! Good one - thanks for posting!!!

monty said...

Awesome Emily! Great photos. I especially love the Grace and Eva ones. Make me want to jump myself.

Jessica P. said...

Those are all so cute! The one of Grace Kelly is funny to me somehow. Like "Well I'm prim and proper but I'll jump in my suit if I have to" haha

Yvette said...

Wonderful photos. I'm adding this book to my Christmas Wish List. Thanks for the tip.